II./ Gender transformative climate adaptation: African women’s leadership as a driver for change
- Main organizer (and co-organizers if applicable): Austria, OECD, Global Water Partnership, CARE International
- Date, start time and end time of the event (in Eastern US/Canada EST time zone: 23 March at 9am EST (4pm in Kampala/UTC+3), will run for 75 minutes (end at 10:15 EST)
- Link to the RSVP/registration form or virtual event platform, or a general email address to be published on the public calendar, for public enquiries: https://careorg.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_VUGsCODBTReM_Sj_SvMVVw;
- Brief description of the event: Women and girls face a double injustice: climate change and gender inequality as they are disproportionately impacted by climate change, women and girls bring a unique perspective and are developing creative and effective solutions. Nevertheless, many climate adaptation policies, plans and programs are not gender responsive, let alone transformative and substantial funding is lacking. Drawing on direct experience in African contexts, this event brings together representatives from government, civil society and multi-lateral agencies to share good practices and provide concrete recommendations on how to promote women’s leadership and gender equality in the climate justice agenda.
- Links to webpages: https://careclimatechange.org/; https://genderinpractice.care.org/; https://aipwater.org/wacdep-g/; https://www.gwp.org/globalassets/documents/gwpsa/aip-wacdep-g-support-programme_singles_final_feb2021.pdf
- Topic/theme: Gender perspectives in climate change