United Nations Official Commemoration of
the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
24 November 2021
UN Women is pleased to invite you to the upcoming official commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. The event will take place virtually on Wednesday, 24 November 2021 from 16:00 – 17:30 Uhr (Vienna Time), kicking off the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-based Violence.
The 2021 UNiTE campaign under its theme “Orange the World: END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN NOW!” will highlight the universal nature of violence against women and girls and acknowledge the particular challenges related to COVID-19, humanitarian and conflict situations. It will also amplify successes to demonstrate that violence against women and girls is preventable and mobilize greater investment in the proven solutions.
Confirmed participants include, amongst others:
- Secretary-General of the United Nations António Guterres
- Under-Secretary General and UN Women Executive Director Sima Bahous
- UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Cindy Bishop
- UN Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, its Causes and Consequences Reem Alsalem
- Center for Women’s Global Leadership Founding Director and Senior Scholar Charlotte Bunch
- Leaders and commitment makers of the Action Coalition on Gender-based Violence
- Representatives from the NGO Women for Afghan Women, Afghanistan and MOFEDGA, Haiti
The event will be hosted by Generation Equality Youth Taskforce Member Shantel Marekera and will count on the performances of MC Soffia from Brazil and the Roma Girl Band “Pretty Loud” from Serbia.